The Ten Commendments of Evolutionary Humanism
In his 2006 Book „Manifest des evolutionären Humanismus: Plädoyer für eine zeitgemäße Leitkultur“ Michael Schmidt-Salomon conceptualized these „Ten Commendments“. Michael gave us the permission to translate und publish those at freigeisterchen.
- Don't serve foreign or local „Gods“ but the great ethic ideal to minimize suffering in the world.
- be fair to your next and your farthest
- Do not fear authorities, have the courage to use your mind
- Do not lie, cheat, steal, kill - unless there is no other way to achieve and defend humanity
- Do not moralize. Help to remove the disastrous circumstances in which nowadays humans suffer - you will be amazed to find out how friendly, creative and likeable the alleged „wild animal“ homo sapiens can be.
- Do not immunize yourself against criticism! Honest critique is a gift which you should not reject.
- Don't feel too confident! But also question your doubts! Even if all we know is limited and temporary you should stand up for you convictions. Be amenable to better arguments - only by this will you be able to avoid dogmatism and arbitrariness.
- Overcome your disposition to have a blind spot for things which were always there. Before making a decision take every point of view into consideration.
- Enjoy your life, most likely you only have one!
- Put your life in the service of a greater good, be part of the tradition making the world a better, worth living place. This attitude is not only ethically sensible but also the best way to lead a meaningful life.
Michael Schmidt-Salomon - Translation: Hilmar Kolbe
With kind permission of Michael Schmidt-Salomon. s.a.: German Version